Draft Chat 2016

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: S-Man

Scrantonicity

Re: Draft Chat 2016

Post by Scrantonicity »

I think the key here is, if you have any question as to whether or not a player will have eligibility at the position that you are targeting him for, you draft a back up at that position as a safe guard on your bench. No one, unfortunately, has the answers as to how Yahoo rosters players eligibility. Which is kind of crazy. But yeah, if you have Papi, grab a 1B for your bench, and be aware that you might need to start the season with said back up in your lineup. We will not be able to adjust position eligibility as a league.
C Varsho
1B Joe, Smith
2B Torres
3B Bohm, Kim
SS Witt, Lopez
OF Soto, Mullins, Grossman, Naquin
U Suzuki, Gorman
SP Alcantara, Montas, Verlander, Rodriguez, Greene, Corbin, Kelly, Glasnow
RP Iglesias, Rogers, Trivino, Barnes, Giles
mullrich

Post by mullrich »

Fantastic. Probably wouldn't have drafted a rod last round had I known.

Anyone need a UT?
C-
1-
2-
3-
S-
OF-
U-
SP-
RP-
zach

Post by zach »

But please know that you cannot draft a team without a starting C or 5 pitchers with SP eligibility
That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard... don't imagine it will be an issue, but I've never run into this in any sport in any yahoo league. Pretty sure I've done football without drafting a K or DEF. Is this baseball specific?

Yeah... not sure what I was thinking with that Zimmerman pick, I'm well aware of the position eligibility rules. I literally spent an hour earlier in the day looking for a SS/3B combo player still available. Many were close, but couldn't find one. And then, somehow stumbled upon Zimmerman still being available and reverted back to 2012 and completely forgot he couldn't throw across the diamond and didn't play an inning of 3B last season... funny, oh well.
C Schwarber, Castillo
1B Hosmer, Carter, Ortiz
2B Zobrist, Schimpf
SS Bogaerts, Owings
3B Bryant, Panda
OF Braun, Polanco, Mallex, Inciarte
SP Matz, Richards, Glasnow, Berrios, Musgrove, Ryu, Anderson
RP Robertson, Ottavino, Iglesias, Kelley, Perkins
Scrantonicity

Post by Scrantonicity »

zach wrote:
But please know that you cannot draft a team without a starting C or 5 pitchers with SP eligibility
That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard... don't imagine it will be an issue, but I've never run into this in any sport in any yahoo league. Pretty sure I've done football without drafting a K or DEF. Is this baseball specific?

Yeah... not sure what I was thinking with that Zimmerman pick, I'm well aware of the position eligibility rules. I literally spent an hour earlier in the day looking for a SS/3B combo player still available. Many were close, but couldn't find one. And then, somehow stumbled upon Zimmerman still being available and reverted back to 2012 and completely forgot he couldn't throw across the diamond and didn't play an inning of 3B last season... funny, oh well.
I'm definitely the opposite on this one. Never been in a league where it would allow you to take bench players over a open roster spot. I had no idea it was even a setting that could be adjusted in Yahoo.

Even if that was the case though, it would still leave you with an empty roster spot on your roster. Which is normally not good. I suppose there are scenarios where if the choice is playing a crappy player whose numbers will hurt versus no player at all. But I am definitely under the impression that you have to have a full roster for our league. Someone like Amato or Freese want to step in and share additional insight?
C Varsho
1B Joe, Smith
2B Torres
3B Bohm, Kim
SS Witt, Lopez
U Suzuki, Gorman
Vogel

Post by Vogel »

heggos wrote:
1b - Byung Ho Park - Projection '16:150 Games,70 Runs,30 2B,26 HR,84 RBI .273/.339/.475
Josh, I will take the under on each of those eight stats--$10 per stat? Deal?

NO
C - S Murphy
1b -Bell
2b - Muncy
SS- Lindor
3b - Vlad Guerrero Jr.
OF - Robles, Puig, Verdugo
UTIL -Adell, Kike, Taylor, Bauers, Bote, Dalbec
SP - Ray, Fried, Canning, Cease, Lester, Pearson
RP - Barnes, Kelly, Harris, Wood, Nelson
buxton91107

Post by buxton91107 »

I'm definitely the opposite on this one. Never been in a league where it would allow you to take bench players over a open roster spot. I had no idea it was even a setting that could be adjusted in Yahoo.
I know in Yahoo fantasy football, you CAN leave your K spot undrafted. I know this because I do this almost every year. I end up with one more bench player than everyone else and before the season starts I drop someone and pick up a kicker.
Not sure how this applies to fantasy baseball, but my guess is that you can do the same thing. Nevertheless, you probably do want a first baseman I would assume. Not like a kicker where they are all the same give or take.
C Vazquez Melendez
1B Schoop Pratto
2B France
SS Kiner-Falefa
3B Mondesi Miranda
OF Buxton Arozarena Ad.Garcia Thomas
U Schwindel
SP Cole Rodon Eovaldi Ryu Greinke Minor
RP Diaz Hand Steckenrider Alvarado P.Johnson Colome
heggos

Post by heggos »

Scrantonicity wrote:I think the key here is, if you have any question as to whether or not a player will have eligibility at the position that you are targeting him for, you draft a back up at that position as a safe guard on your bench. No one, unfortunately, has the answers as to how Yahoo rosters players eligibility. Which is kind of crazy. But yeah, if you have Papi, grab a 1B for your bench, and be aware that you might need to start the season with said back up in your lineup. We will not be able to adjust position eligibility as a league.
Actually, it's pretty straightforward:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN6766.html

The only time when we don't know is if it's a rookie who has no MLB experience (i.e. Sano was SS-eligible last year for some reason, but going forward his eligibility will be determined by the previous season, unless and until he earns eligibility at a new position).
C SMurphy
1B NLowe|Vogelbach
2B Profar|Dubon|LGarcía
3B Riley|Paredes
SS Torres
OF LGurriel|Laureano|Taveras|AGarcía|Oliva
UT Álvarez
SP Darvish|Buehler|Stroman|Kikuchi|DeSclafani|Lindblom|Brault
RP Williams|Antone|Duffey|Brebbia|Wisler
Scrantonicity

Post by Scrantonicity »

buxton91107 wrote:
I know in Yahoo fantasy football, you CAN leave your K spot undrafted. I know this because I do this almost every year. I end up with one more bench player than everyone else and before the season starts I drop someone and pick up a kicker.
Not sure how this applies to fantasy baseball, but my guess is that you can do the same thing. Nevertheless, you probably do want a first baseman I would assume. Not like a kicker where they are all the same give or take.
I have absolutely been in Yahoo drafts where the draft browser condensed my draft options dependent on what open roster spots I had empty. Whether it was the Defense or the Kicker. All the WRs, QBs, RBs, and TEs were no longer are an option to be chosen. Had no idea that you could do a draft and have it be any other way. I would be open to it, in football, as I tend to drop and pick up Ks and Ds week to week anyway.

So I might be wrong about this. As a result, we will not be enforcing that teams be forced to draft an open spot on their active, starting rosters. If you want to go through, and not a draft a C, then that is your prerogative. But until someone can say definitively that Yahoo allows this, it will be at your own risk. You might be forced to drop your last round pick for a starting catcher when we move our rosters over to Yahoo.
C Varsho
1B Joe, Smith
2B Torres
3B Bohm, Kim
SS Witt, Lopez
U Suzuki, Gorman
zach

Post by zach »

It's probably a non-issue like you mentioned before, but like Buxton said, its a strategy thing for before the season starts, especially since we draft so early. I could see a scenario where I could not draft a starting catcher and instead take a flyer on a minor league guy fighting for a starting sport in spring training. Obviously I would find someone to drop before the season started to make room for a catcher. I don't really care either way as its pretty rare that would happen in a 16-man league.
C Schwarber, Castillo
1B Hosmer, Carter, Ortiz
2B Zobrist, Schimpf
SS Bogaerts, Owings
3B Bryant, Panda
OF Braun, Polanco, Mallex, Inciarte
SP Matz, Richards, Glasnow, Berrios, Musgrove, Ryu, Anderson
RP Robertson, Ottavino, Iglesias, Kelley, Perkins
YankeeManiac

Post by YankeeManiac »

In this 30 round draft, does anyone actually plan on not drafting a catcher? This debate seems more theoretical than likely to happen. If someone does decide to try this, and they are unable to, they'd then have to choose a catcher from the 31st round level players... We're talking backup MLB catchers. I say if someone tries it, the risk is to their own peril.
C: Sanchez
1B: Votto,Voit
2B: DJ Le (1B/3B), Cano
SS: B. Rodgers (2B) M. Rojas
3B: Urshela (SS) Biggio (2B?)
OF: Harper, Duvall, A Hicks
SP: Kershaw, Ray, Flaherty, P. Lopez, L. Severino, Taillon, German
RP: Jansen, Graterol, Crochet, Loaisiga, Yates
YankeeManiac

Post by YankeeManiac »

Scrantonicity wrote:Via text:

14.8 Vogel selects: Greg Bird, 1B, NYY
chicoconcarne wrote:14.10 Mark Teixeira, 1B NYY
Weird
heggos

Post by heggos »

YankeeManiac wrote:

Weird
Josh didn't get Cash's memo

http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork/yankees ... n-scranton
C SMurphy
1B NLowe|Vogelbach
2B Profar|Dubon|LGarcía
3B Riley|Paredes
SS Torres
OF LGurriel|Laureano|Taveras|AGarcía|Oliva
UT Álvarez
SP Darvish|Buehler|Stroman|Kikuchi|DeSclafani|Lindblom|Brault
RP Williams|Antone|Duffey|Brebbia|Wisler
Scrantonicity

Post by Scrantonicity »

chicoconcarne wrote:15.7 Matt Wieters, C, BAL
Damn- really wanted Wieters with my next pick.
C Varsho
1B Joe, Smith
2B Torres
3B Bohm, Kim
SS Witt, Lopez
U Suzuki, Gorman
snapman

Post by snapman »

YankeeManiac wrote:Trade alert: Mendoza trades 15.10 and his 23rd round pick to Yankee maniac for pick 15.11 and his 23rd round pick.

15.10 Yankee maniac selects Josh Harrison 2b/3b Pit

Mendoza is on clock with 15.11
Isn't Mendoza on the clock still for pick 14.7 as well? and pretty close to being passed on this round as well... Bold strategy?
C Zunino Campusano
1B Vlad Jr, Naylor
2B Madrigal
3B Urias
SS Franco
OF Jimenez, Mountcastle, Baddoo, Lewis
UT E. Hernandez, Toro, Profar, Wendle, Beer
SP Musgrove, McClanahan, Clevinger, Sanchez, Plesac, Soroka
RP Lamet, Puk, Quantril, Adams, Crismatt
YankeeManiac

Post by YankeeManiac »

He's in Vegas. I texted him and he said it would be awhile so being impatient I traded up a pick so I could go.
Polanco's huge head

Post by Polanco's huge head »

Brandon- just curious, how do you have: 3B Cabrera? No games there last year, right?
That head tho
Vogel

Post by Vogel »

heggos wrote:
YankeeManiac wrote:

Weird
Josh didn't get Cash's memo

http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork/yankees ... n-scranton
Welllllll shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt. Oh well it's not like Texiera, arod and Beltran will all stay healthy.
C - S Murphy
1b -Bell
2b - Muncy
SS- Lindor
3b - Vlad Guerrero Jr.
OF - Robles, Puig, Verdugo
UTIL -Adell, Kike, Taylor, Bauers, Bote, Dalbec
SP - Ray, Fried, Canning, Cease, Lester, Pearson
RP - Barnes, Kelly, Harris, Wood, Nelson