Winter League Rule Discussion

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: S-Man

S-Man

Winter League Rule Discussion

Post by S-Man »

Post concerns/suggestions for the 2010 Winter League.
C Murphy
1b Goldschmidt
2b Wong
3b Machado
SS Polanco
OF Robert, Schwarber, Laureano
Util Hampson
BN Kepler, Santana, Margot, Peralta
SP Webb, Darvish, Manaea, S. Gray, Lauer, Martinez, Hill
RP Suarez, Houck, Soto, Wick
WinterKryptonite

Re: Winter League Rule Discussion

Post by WinterKryptonite »

Let's limit the number of transactions for each team. I'd suggest either 5 or 10 transactions per team for the whole season. This way, you can make a change in case of injury, but the draft is much more heavily weighted than a normal league (since this league is all about the draft). Most of us like this league because we want a winter draft, but once the season starts we have other teams to manage (with a lot more money on the line). Let this league be all about who had the best draft.

I feel strongly enough about this that my participation in the draft is contingent on it being enacted.
Scrantonicity

Post by Scrantonicity »

I vote with Krypto that limited number of transactions is best. Ultimately a league that grades your ability to draft, and less about your managing abilities. I say 10 transactions, and no trading. I'm not staking my league membership to my requests though...
C Varsho
1B Joe, Smith
2B Torres
3B Bohm, Kim
SS Witt, Lopez
OF Soto, Mullins, Grossman, Naquin
U Suzuki, Gorman
SP Alcantara, Montas, Verlander, Rodriguez, Greene, Corbin, Kelly, Glasnow
RP Iglesias, Rogers, Trivino, Barnes, Giles
angels02

Post by angels02 »

I don't agree with putting all the emphasis on the draft. Injuries, players off to a bad start, etc. one's season could be over by June. I don't mind a few modifications to the league, but nothing to drastic.
c
1b Freeman
2b Kipnis
3b Frazier
ss
of Trout
of
of
utlity
sp Lester
sp
sp
sp
rp Meloncon
rp Allen
S-Man

Post by S-Man »

I'm for limiting transactions. I don't think we should go so far as to eliminate trades, but I'm on board with whatever we decide in the end.
C Murphy
1b Goldschmidt
2b Wong
3b Machado
SS Polanco
Util Hampson
YankeeManiac

Post by YankeeManiac »

id say 10 transactions once the season starts is fine. Is there even a way for the ticker to start counting once the season starts?

The other thing i would say, is lets have rosters of 30, so that our teams are nice and deep and we can have multiple backups in case on injuries, disappointments etc.

I remember how hard it was rounds 21-25 last year to draft, so id be in favor of only drafting through round 20, and then introducing the rest of the players into waivers. (or round 22, or round 25....whatever everyone wants)If we do it this way, we should add the number of roster slots that need to be picked up to the total each team gets for the year (eg if we draft 20 rounds then we geive evry team 20 transactions...10 to round out their roster and 10 to use during season...if we draft through round 25, we giver every team 15 transactions)
C: Sanchez
1B: Votto,Voit
2B: DJ Le (1B/3B), Cano
SS: B. Rodgers (2B) M. Rojas
3B: Urshela (SS) Biggio (2B?)
OF: Harper, Duvall, A Hicks
SP: Kershaw, Ray, Flaherty, P. Lopez, L. Severino, Taillon, German
RP: Jansen, Graterol, Crochet, Loaisiga, Yates
YankeeManiac

Post by YankeeManiac »

lets also change the setting on this board so that our posts dont have to be approved to get on the board. its very slow this way and not conducive for discussion. provided that only members can post, we should be able to post to the board at will (without approval)....

...that is unless Donati continues to post those awful pictures :)
Vogel

Post by Vogel »

What about 2 or 3 keepers?
I think we limit moves to 20-25, limit the Amato and Dylans of the league.
C - S Murphy
1b -Bell
2b - Muncy
SS- Lindor
3b - Vlad Guerrero Jr.
OF - Robles, Puig, Verdugo
UTIL -Adell, Kike, Taylor, Bauers, Bote, Dalbec
SP - Ray, Fried, Canning, Cease, Lester, Pearson
RP - Barnes, Kelly, Harris, Wood, Nelson
S-Man

Post by S-Man »

No keepers.
C Murphy
1b Goldschmidt
2b Wong
3b Machado
SS Polanco
Util Hampson
heggos

Post by heggos »

If we limit transactions to 10 or 15, I guarantee that you'll have at least 5 or 6 managers abandoning their teams by June. To me, that's the worst thing that can happen in a fantasy league--much worse than streaming pitchers or hawking the wire to add every minor-league callup. I know everyone in this league has good intentions, but last year, even with daily transactions, a bunch of teams at the low end of the standings were pretty much left to rot. If you have a poor draft, or your team suffers key injuries, what's the motivation to stay involved?

That said, I like having a transaction limit. But something closer to 50 works just fine--it's a long season. That, and we could have weekly waiver claims going in reverse order of the standings (though I don't know how Yahoo works this). That might keep the low-end teams interested and involved.
C SMurphy
1B NLowe|Vogelbach
2B Profar|Dubon|LGarcía
3B Riley|Paredes
SS Torres
OF LGurriel|Laureano|Taveras|AGarcía|Oliva
UT Álvarez
SP Darvish|Buehler|Stroman|Kikuchi|DeSclafani|Lindblom|Brault
RP Williams|Antone|Duffey|Brebbia|Wisler
Scrantonicity

Post by Scrantonicity »

The problem that we are going to come across is all of the Baseball Obsession guys (Amato, Dylan, myself, etc.) are wanting a league that essentially proves to be an exercise in drafting, and all the other league members want to treat this league like it's a legitimate, normal league. Two very different perspectives and understandably so. Maybe ultimately we need to do two seperate drafts? I don't think it's the best scenario, because I love the idea of a deep draft with a ton of teams. Hopefully we can find some middle ground...
C Varsho
1B Joe, Smith
2B Torres
3B Bohm, Kim
SS Witt, Lopez
OF Soto, Mullins, Grossman, Naquin
U Suzuki, Gorman
SP Alcantara, Montas, Verlander, Rodriguez, Greene, Corbin, Kelly, Glasnow
RP Iglesias, Rogers, Trivino, Barnes, Giles
YankeeManiac

Post by YankeeManiac »

S-Man wrote:No keepers.
definitely no keepers...the joy of this league is the draft.
YankeeManiac

Post by YankeeManiac »

Vogel wrote: I think we limit moves to 20-25, limit the Amato and Dylans of the league.
Never realized that playing within the rules of the game would get me such notoriety, I guess thats what hapens when you win a league of 18 teamsd though.
YankeeManiac

Post by YankeeManiac »

Scrantonicity wrote:The problem that we are going to come across is all of the Baseball Obsession guys (Amato, Dylan, myself, etc.) are wanting a league that essentially proves to be an exercise in drafting, and all the other league members want to treat this league like it's a legitimate, normal league. Two very different perspectives and understandably so. Maybe ultimately we need to do two seperate drafts? I don't think it's the best scenario, because I love the idea of a deep draft with a ton of teams. Hopefully we can find some middle ground...
i personally treat this league like a legit, normal league. I plan to win it again. If limit ourselves to 10 transactions, i guarantee that i will use all ten. If we limit to 50, i will likely use all 50. I enjoy this league because the draft is rich in conversation and gets you really thinking about baseball again. It forces you to make your own rankings, before the supid magazines come out and distort your perceptions. It allows me to draft with friends who are not in the Baseball obsession league and get their perspectives on players too (this league would not be fun if it were only Baseball Obsession folks, and nobody would want to tip their cards either).

I think that limiting transactions to 10-20 per team is the solution/ compromise to keep everyone happy
S-Man

Post by S-Man »

I think 20 is a good number. It comes out to nearly one transaction for every 9 days during the season. It will also make people think a little bit more before they make a transaction by introducing a risk-reward scenario with the free agent pool.
C Murphy
1b Goldschmidt
2b Wong
3b Machado
SS Polanco
Util Hampson
WinterKryptonite

Post by WinterKryptonite »

I'd rather have 10 or 15... 20 does get rid of over-managing, but doesn't place enough emphasis on the draft. Can we vote on this?

Also think that whether it is 10, 15 or 20, we should start with with 25 players but 30 roster spots.
wsuguay

Post by wsuguay »

heggos wrote:If we limit transactions to 10 or 15, I guarantee that you'll have at least 5 or 6 managers abandoning their teams by June. To me, that's the worst thing that can happen in a fantasy league--much worse than streaming pitchers or hawking the wire to add every minor-league callup. I know everyone in this league has good intentions, but last year, even with daily transactions, a bunch of teams at the low end of the standings were pretty much left to rot. If you have a poor draft, or your team suffers key injuries, what's the motivation to stay involved?

That said, I like having a transaction limit. But something closer to 50 works just fine--it's a long season. That, and we could have weekly waiver claims going in reverse order of the standings (though I don't know how Yahoo works this). That might keep the low-end teams interested and involved.
I wanted to bring Heggo's idea back. Are weekly waiver claims an option? Seems like a good way to go and it could help players out that are struggling at the bottom of the league (like I was last year - sorry for bailing, it was beyond futile and I had a couple good teams to look after). If your team is in last place, you have the #1 claim. First place, you're #20. Simple and fair.

If we're able to do that, limit transactions at 50. It gives owners one waiver claim per week and a chance to add a free agent before all the FA's go back on waivers for that week, roughly.
C M. Montero
1B Butler
2B Cano
SS Aybar
3B P. Sandoval
OF Heyward/Trumbo/Pagan/McLouth/Kubel
U Freese/Morneau/Pronk
SP Peavy/B.Anderson/Lynn/Holland/McCarthy/Baker
RP Marshall/W.Wright
DL Beachy