Winter League Rule Discussion

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: S-Man

S-Man

Re: Winter League Rule Discussion

Post by S-Man »

[/quote]

I wanted to bring Heggo's idea back. Are weekly waiver claims an option? [/quote]

I don't think that this is an option for yahoo leagues, though I could be wrong. YankeeManiac would probably have more knowledge on this than I would.
C Murphy
1b Goldschmidt
2b Wong
3b Machado
SS Polanco
OF Robert, Schwarber, Laureano
Util Hampson
BN Kepler, Santana, Margot, Peralta
SP Webb, Darvish, Manaea, S. Gray, Lauer, Martinez, Hill
RP Suarez, Houck, Soto, Wick
Knight2254

Post by Knight2254 »

For those of us new in the league this year, can somebody clarify the positions we have played with in the past? It seems with 20 teams and a C, 1,2,ss,3,CI,MI, 5xOF, UTIL and bakers dozen of pitcher spots will make this leave insanely deep. I'm not opposed to it -- but it's good to know so that I can base my opinions/suggestions.

This will be interesting because you could theoretically have a closers run where all of them are taken before you even get a pick (e.g., you are on one end of the snake and all of them go before it comes back to you)
Tonies.gin

Post by Tonies.gin »

S-Man wrote:
I wanted to bring Heggo's idea back. Are weekly waiver claims an option? [/quote]

I don't think that this is an option for yahoo leagues, though I could be wrong. YankeeManiac would probably have more knowledge on this than I would.[/quote]

I think it is possible to do manually. You set transactions to be weekly, have 7 day waivers and every sunday it is someones responsibility to manually reset the FA to Waivers.
WinterKryptonite

Post by WinterKryptonite »

I don't think people not paying attention is the issue. Again, this is a front-loaded league (we pay the most attention early, and later on most of us have other leagues so it becomes less of a priority).

To me the big idea here is that we need to put more emphasis on the draft (WE ARE DRAFTING IN FREAKING DECEMBER!), not whoever makes the best trades or puts in the time on waivers.

A hard transaction limit is like weekly waivers but it adds some strategy as to when and how you use your 10 or 20 moves.
S-Man

Post by S-Man »

Re: Lineups:
C
1b
2b
3b
ss
OF
OF
OF
Util

SP
SP
SP
SP
SP
RP
RP
RP
RP
C Murphy
1b Goldschmidt
2b Wong
3b Machado
SS Polanco
Util Hampson
S-Man

Post by S-Man »

Based on the posts so far it seems like we have a concensus for the following items:
- 25 draft picks
- Final roster of 30 players
- Trades will be allowed
- No Keepers
- starting lineups as they have been in past years

The main sticking point appears to be the number of transactions and whether or not they are weekly, determined by waivers etc. It seems like the best way to decide on this issue is to start a poll and have people vote on one of the following:

20 transactions
50 transactions
50 transactions w/ weekly transactions (manual update of FA pool to waivers and re-ordering of waivers based on standings weekly)
no limit to transactions (same as in years past)

I'm not at all interested in manually setting the FA to waivers every Sunday for a period of 8 months in addition to changing the waivers order around each week such that last place has first priority etc. It seems a bit excessive to me and if that's what is decided, someone else will have to take charge of it. I think this league should be as simple as possible, we draft on the board in the winter, post the teams when yahoo is available and just go.
C Murphy
1b Goldschmidt
2b Wong
3b Machado
SS Polanco
Util Hampson
heggos

Post by heggos »

S-Man wrote: I'm not at all interested in manually setting the FA to waivers every Sunday for a period of 8 months in addition to changing the waivers order around each week such that last place has first priority etc. It seems a bit excessive to me and if that's what is decided, someone else will have to take charge of it. I think this league should be as simple as possible, we draft on the board in the winter, post the teams when yahoo is available and just go.
I totally understand this, S-man. Even though I floated the idea, I think in practice it might be easier just to have the hard transaction limit if the waiver thing needs to be done manually.
C SMurphy
1B NLowe|Vogelbach
2B Profar|Dubon|LGarcía
3B Riley|Paredes
SS Torres
OF LGurriel|Laureano|Taveras|AGarcía|Oliva
UT Álvarez
SP Darvish|Buehler|Stroman|Kikuchi|DeSclafani|Lindblom|Brault
RP Williams|Antone|Duffey|Brebbia|Wisler
Tonies.gin

Post by Tonies.gin »

heggos wrote:
S-Man wrote: I'm not at all interested in manually setting the FA to waivers every Sunday for a period of 8 months in addition to changing the waivers order around each week such that last place has first priority etc. It seems a bit excessive to me and if that's what is decided, someone else will have to take charge of it. I think this league should be as simple as possible, we draft on the board in the winter, post the teams when yahoo is available and just go.
I totally understand this, S-man. Even though I floated the idea, I think in practice it might be easier just to have the hard transaction limit if the waiver thing needs to be done manually.
I would like to add, since I mentioned manually setting FA/waivers etc., that I am for weekly transactions and rolling waivers, but I do not see the point in changing the waver order every week. By maintaining waiver order but re-setting free agents it keeps the maintenance to a minimum (and if you are anything like me and checking the league everyday anyway, its just a couple of mouseclicks away).
Pocket full of Posey

Post by Pocket full of Posey »

How is it determined what the draft order is?
C: Suzuki, Pierzynski
1B: Morales, G. Jones
2B: J. Weeks, Sanchez
3B: Chipper, Valencia
SS: Cozart, Pastornicky
OF: Braun, Bourn, Ichiro, Tabata
SP: Halladay, Lester, Wainwright, Chacin, Norris, Blanton, Porcello
RP: Soria, Romo, Fuentes, Abreu, Axelrod
S-Man

Post by S-Man »

I'll put together a random lottery once we've agreed on the transaction rule.
C Murphy
1b Goldschmidt
2b Wong
3b Machado
SS Polanco
Util Hampson
angels02

Post by angels02 »

For the record, I vote for 50 waiver transactions. Otherwise, some teams will be out of the running by July.
c
1b Freeman
2b Kipnis
3b Frazier
ss
of Trout
of
of
utlity
sp Lester
sp
sp
sp
rp Meloncon
rp Allen
Knight2254

Post by Knight2254 »

angels02 wrote:For the record, I vote for 50 waiver transactions. Otherwise, some teams will be out of the running by July.
Exactly. With injuries, closer shifts, and rookies who struggle you'll need more than 20 transactions. 50 is more reasonable but why not have it unlimited? We've got position limitations so there's no reason to stream players really.
ucancallmedavis

Post by ucancallmedavis »

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but as far as the 8am to 8pm rules, those times are PST only correct? For any of us East Coasters it will be 11am to 11pm? Thanks, and again sorry if this was discussed already.
C- Gomes
1b- Carter,Howard
2b- Murphy,Gregorius
ss- Reyes,A.Cabrera,Galvis
3b- Santana,Asche,Franco
OF-Gomez,Brantley,Blackmon,Dyson,Victorino
U- Bruce
SP- Smyly,Fiers,E.Santana,Lohse,Hudson,Leake,Wada
RP- Casilla,Roark,Strickland,O'Day,Vincent,Kelly
YankeeManiac

Post by YankeeManiac »

ucancallmedavis wrote:Sorry if this has been addressed already, but as far as the 8am to 8pm rules, those times are PST only correct? For any of us East Coasters it will be 11am to 11pm? Thanks, and again sorry if this was discussed already.

correct. it would be 8 to 8 pacific. If 11 pm is a little too late for the east coasters, maybe we could perhaps do 7 to 7 pacific, which would translate to 10 to 10 EST?
C: Sanchez
1B: Votto,Voit
2B: DJ Le (1B/3B), Cano
SS: B. Rodgers (2B) M. Rojas
3B: Urshela (SS) Biggio (2B?)
OF: Harper, Duvall, A Hicks
SP: Kershaw, Ray, Flaherty, P. Lopez, L. Severino, Taillon, German
RP: Jansen, Graterol, Crochet, Loaisiga, Yates
ucancallmedavis

Post by ucancallmedavis »

YankeeManiac wrote:
ucancallmedavis wrote:Sorry if this has been addressed already, but as far as the 8am to 8pm rules, those times are PST only correct? For any of us East Coasters it will be 11am to 11pm? Thanks, and again sorry if this was discussed already.

correct. it would be 8 to 8 pacific. If 11 pm is a little too late for the east coasters, maybe we could perhaps do 7 to 7 pacific, which would translate to 10 to 10 EST?
Personally I think 7am PST to 7pm PST would be better for me personally, but with that said, I am not going to ask that of the league as a whole, whatever everyone decides on is cool with me. Thanks for the clarification.
C- Gomes
1b- Carter,Howard
2b- Murphy,Gregorius
ss- Reyes,A.Cabrera,Galvis
3b- Santana,Asche,Franco
OF-Gomez,Brantley,Blackmon,Dyson,Victorino
U- Bruce
SP- Smyly,Fiers,E.Santana,Lohse,Hudson,Leake,Wada
RP- Casilla,Roark,Strickland,O'Day,Vincent,Kelly
Polanco's huge head

Post by Polanco's huge head »

Hey I think this has been addressed, so apologies in advance. We're not fielding CI and MI positions, correct? Just a starting 8 position players + a utility?
That head tho
S-Man

Post by S-Man »

Polanco's huge head wrote:Hey I think this has been addressed, so apologies in advance. We're not fielding CI and MI positions, correct? Just a starting 8 position players + a utility?
That is correct. Starting lineups are as follows...
c
1b
2b
3b
ss
of
of
of
util

sp
sp
sp